Maintenance and bugfix release of Internet.nl
More stablility, speed and accuracy
The improvements make Internet.nl more stable and faster. In addition, other developers can more easily install the Internet.nl software themselves or contribute code to the project. Finally, a small number of content changes and bug fixes have been implemented making the tests and accompanying texts more accurate.
The test tool Internet.nl is an initiative of the Dutch Internet Standards Platform which is a collaboration of partners from the internet community and the Dutch government. The aim of the platform is to jointly increase the use of modern Internet standards to make the Internet more accessible, safer and more reliable for everyone. The software code of Internet.nl is available under an open source license.
Release notes 1.4.0
Software update and development & documentation release.
- Mention LinkedIn next to Twitter in footer [(#496)]
- Add security.txt based on https://securitytxt.org/ [(#493)]
- Improve description of the ipv4-ipv6 comparison results and what may be a reason for the differences [(#540)]
- Refer to https://dutchcloudcommunity.nl/ on https://internet.nl/about/ [(#589)]
- Check for max of 10 DNS lookups in SPF test [(#286)]
- System administrators can disable/enable categories of tests (for example, only run IPv6 tests)
- Files from the /static/ directory are now cached by the client for one day by default (instead of none)
- Fix some minor typos and broken link [(#574)] [(#575)]
- Add a missing ' in the frame-ancestors explanation [(#578)]
- An empty part of Content Security Policy gives an error [(#583)]
- Recursion error when stripping nonces in IPv4 and IPv6 comparison [(#587)]
- Remove certificate from the certificate chain in the shipped cert chain file [(#614)]
- Update Django version to latest LTS version, together with dependencies [(#486)]
- Update version of Celery to the latest LTS version, together with dependencies [(#586)]
- Updated jQuery (also stops support for very old browsers) [(#565)]
- Pinned all dependencies on specific versions with pip-tools.
- Moved Django settings to an environment file, so it can be more easily configured in automated environments (containers)
- Made a clear distinction between user confgured settings and 'standard app settings'
- Add DEFAULT_AUTO_FIELD to default config file [(#599)]
- Increased the test duration 50%-100% for all tests on single mode, to deal with slow servers or servers that have a lot of MX records.
- Made the rate limiting feature of starting new scans configurable in the settings (not via environment)
- Administrative movements of models to a new subproject (checks).
Development & documentation
- Added installation steps to makefile for easier installation of the virtual environment and custom python dependencies
- Added Github action that checks for code linting and runs tests. More QA tools to come.
- Added various tests and moved the existing tests to be run in pytest. Coverage today: 32%
- Added a partial admin web interface that is available during development, to more easily inspect the contents of the database
- Added an ERD diagram image of the database to the documentation
- Removed infinite wait on Unbound pipe, to reduce complexity in the connection leakage issue (see ahead)
- Added example and usable configuration examples for Redis, workers, services, Apache etc
- Added a logger with dictconfig, this allows run time logging of the application
- Added (debug) log statements for further code inspection, especially on expiring tasks
- Separate scanning code from UI code via a new django app "checks"
- Added workaround / configs for Redis-backend-connection leak [(#676)] on single scan mode. Cron settings and some bash scripts that restart the scan services every 6 hours. This allows tens of thousands of scans per recycle.
- Spread out tasks over more dedicated workers to be able to inspect and manage bottlenecks
- Fixed Django-app bootstrapping, which prevented the app from loading correctly
- Building and testing for Python 3.7 and 3.10 to transit to the new version
- Added caching of static files in the apache config
- Simplified and deduplicated the apache config